Sunday 12 October 2014

Banoffee Pie.

Today's post is dedicated to my beautiful Aunty, who gave me so much inspiration to cook. Her ability to invent delicious dishes always amazed me, and I admired her so much growing up.

The first dessert she taught me to make was Banoffee Pie, and since then, it has held a special place in my heart. I was only about eight years old, and I remember thinking.."Wow, this is SO delicious!" To celebrate her birthday, I decided to bake something I knew she would love. And this is what I came up with. Normally, I would use a pre-baked tart base, and tinned caramel (Yes, I know I'm a cheat! But at least I admit it!) But this time, I made it from scratch! Proud? I was! Here is the recipe:




Banoffee Pie

Shortcrust Pastry(Based on recipe from Taste.com)
© 1 1/2 cups plain flour
© 125g butter, chilled, chopped
© 1/3 cup caster sugar
© 1 egg yolk
© 1 tablespoon chilled water
  1. Combine flour, butter and sugar in a food processor. Process until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add yolk and chilled water. Process until dough just comes together.
  2. Turn pastry onto a lightly floured surface. Knead until just smooth. Shape into a disc. Wrap in baking paper and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
  3. Place pan on a baking tray. Line pastry case or tin of choice with baking paper. Fill with ceramic pie weights or uncooked rice. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove weights and paper. Bake for a further 5 to 10 minutes or until pastry is golden. Allow to cool.





Caramel Filling 
© 2 cans of condensed milk
© 2 tablespoons butter
© 1/3 cup golden syrup
© tablespoons of brown sugar 
  1. Place all ingredients in saucepan and mix until combined. 
  2. Bring to boil on high heat. Mix quickly for 2-3 minutes until mixture is thick and is a light caramel colour (This sounds vague, but trust me, you will know when it's ready..Your hand will start to hurt!)
  3. Take off heat and leave to cool in pan. 
  4. When cool, fill tart base. Smooth over with knife.





All the Other Bits
© 4 bananas (I like firm-ish bananas-they are nicer and last longer!)
© 500ml of thickened cream
© 1 tablespoon vanilla essence
© 3 tablespoons of icing sugar
© Half a block of dark chocolate 
  1. Cut the banana up into small pieces. Layer them on top of the caramel, as close to each other as possible. 
  2. Whip the cream using a hand mixer. I used a piping bag and a 1cm nozzle to pipe my cream on. But really, feel free to slop it on if you don't have the time or patience to go that extra step! 
  3. Melt the chocolate in zip-lock bag, and drizzle it over the top. 










And there we have it! A banoffee pie from scratch. 





I was super happy with how it turned out, and I know that my Aunty would have been proud.
Happy Birthday Anne! 


Until next time, happy baking.

xx


2 comments: